|Clip art: Clker|
- PO~ Recognize current version and target sound (aural discrimination).
- PO~ Achieve new articulation (target sound), in this case both voiced and voiceless.
- PO~ Practice haptic-anchored new articulation.
- PO~ Achieve appropriate version of target sound in main word-contexts (initial, medial, final.)
- PO~ Practice haptic-anchored sound in contexts.
- PO~ Create target word list.
- PO~ Practice haptic-anchored word list as necessary.
- PO~ Create target phrase list.
- PO~ Practice haptic-anchored target phrase list as necessary.
- BMK I - Recognize instances (the felt sense) of "current" versions (mispronunciations) in spontaneous speech after the fact.
- BMK II - Recognize instances of target version usage in spontaneous speech after the fact.
- Goal achieved: Integration of target sound successfully in most contexts.
That protocol is generally appropriate for changing pronunciation at beginning and intermediate levels. Heavily fossilized pronunciation, however, often requires something closer to the "other" 12 step approach!