I recently experimented with that heuristic on my own model, method and business plan with some striking results and . . . revelations. I had earlier worked with an executive coach for about 6 months and "inversion" would have been absolutely anathema to that process: Think positive; visualize positive goals and outcomes; consider effective strategies and moves going forward. But what if I, instead, had focused in on the consequences of NOT staying goal-oriented and upbeat? Actually, I might be further along than I am now . . .
Just for a fun thought experiment, try out questions such as these on your own program, course, system or method:
How could I . . .
- Provide useless or pointless advice on self correction or self-instruction of pronunciation?
- Disconnect student's from their bodies in pronunciation work?
- Undermine students' development of intelligibility or accuracy?
- Help students develop a deep distrust and aversion to an English or English dialect spoken by any other group?
- Establish impossible targets of perfection for learners?
- Create enough emotional tension or distraction in the room to seriously interfere with students "uptaking" pronunciation instruction?
- Make sure that students don't do pronunciation homework?
- Arrange student groups to discourage constructive collaborative work?
- Use correction to badger, berate or bully students?
- Seriously mess with learners' identities in teaching pronunciation?
- Make pronunciation instruction as boring as possible?
- Make students think their pronunciation is better than it is?
- Successfully ignore attention to pronunciation entirely?
- Talk more about pronunciation than actually do anything with it?
- Be an awful model for my students?
- Teach pronunciation without any training in it?
- Teach pronunciation without using phonetic symbols?
- Encourage students to go to some "Miracle Accent Reduction" website instead of working with me?.
- Make students think their accent is bad or could not use a little enhancement
Please feel free to add to the list in the comment section!