Wednesday, September 2, 2026

The Quiet Erasure 4: A little good news about AI

 Artificial intelligence now seems to arrive bearing two kinds of news. One is familiar: threats to work, privacy, attention, trust, and the already-fragile human connections that make ordinary life bearable. The other is harder to dismiss. AI may help find cancers earlier, improve medical decisions, forecast dangerous weather, reduce bureaucratic burdens, and extend scientific discovery.

The short imagined exchange below takes place in that unsettled space. Claire, a Millennial hospital project manager, sees a chance that AI might restore some time, clarity, and care to overburdened lives. Nia, a Gen Z urban planner, sees that possibility too. She simply has reason to wonder what happens after the technology works. 

This fictional embodiment of the implications of current research was generated initially by Perplexity.ai, responding to the prompt in the Appendix.

The Quiet Erasure 4: A Little Good News About AI

Clker.com

The first thing you noticed about Claire was that she had arranged the table before she had arranged herself. Her leather notebook lay open beside a cup of coffee, gone cold, its pages marked with narrow strips of yellow paper. A blue-ink pen rested between columns of notes. She had printed the articles—not because she distrusted the screen, she explained, but because print gave a person “somewhere to put a doubt.”

Claire was forty-six, a senior project manager at a regional hospital, although the title did not quite capture what she did. She was a bridge between people who spoke different “languages” and exercised different kinds of power: doctors who spoke in urgency, software vendors who spoke in solutions, finance officers who spoke in savings, and nurses who spoke the reality of what would actually happen at 2:00 in the morning. Her phone lay face down. She wore a navy jacket over a soft gray sweater, good boots.

Across from her sat Nia, twenty-six, with no notebook. Her black hair was pulled into a loose, low knot. A canvas satchel leaned against her chair, a laptop inside it, along with rolled-up planning maps and a paperback novel with duct-taped spine. She was an urban planner, newly promoted, specializing in heat resilience and neighborhood infrastructure. In fact, Nia spent her days trying to answer questions like: Which blocks would become dangerous in extreme heat? Which residents had no trees, no reliable air-conditioning, no transportation, no nearby clinic? Why would a city’s map of “risk” look suspiciously like its old map of neglect?

They had met through a mutual friend. Claire liked her immediately, though that may not have been mutual at first. Nia listened in a way that could make you hear and reflect on your “indefensibles” before you could get away from them.

And between them, in Claire’s tablet, was an engaged conversant neither of them quite expected. At the top of the screen appeared the AI’s response to Claire’s question from the previous evening:

What are some genuinely hopeful recent developments in artificial intelligence?

The answer had been almost elegant in composition. That was part of the problem.

It included medical systems that could help clinicians reason through difficult diagnoses; tools that could identify cancers on scans before the signs were obvious to the unaided eye; models that could help predict whether a treatment might work for a particular patient; new ways of forecasting rare, catastrophic heat events.

Then it moved to: assistance with legal research, coding, paperwork, financial questions, scientific discovery. At the bottom, in a tone polished so it nearly sounded of kindness, the bot had written:

Artificial intelligence may be most valuable not when it replaces human judgment, but when it gives human beings more time for judgment, care, creativity, and one another.

“I know,” she said. “It sounds like something from a corporate wellness brochure, maybe even ours!”

Nia smiled. “A very expensive corporate wellness brochure.”

“But it is not wrong, is it?”

“No,” Nia said. “Not wrong . . .”

Claire sat back. “I have spent the last three years hearing that AI is going to destroy attention spans, eliminate jobs, make students cheat, make people lonely, impersonate everyone’s grandmother, and turn the internet into a landfill of fake photographs. I get that. Some of that seems entirely possible, too.”

“Generous of you.”

“Generous.”

“You are.”

Claire turned the tablet slightly, as if the information needed a better angle in order to be believed. “A doctor has a second opinion before the patient even leaves the room. A cancer gets caught years earlier. A city gets a better warning before a lethal heat wave. Somebody who cannot understand a medical letter or an insurance denial can get an explanation in plain English.”

Nia was listening intently.

Claire went on, almost in spite of herself.

“I know it can make errors. I know it hallucinates. I know you should not turn over your bank account, your bloodwork, or the nuclear codes to a chat window. But, I’m sure we can say that some of this is good.”

“We can,” Nia said, somewhat tentatively.

“Shouldn’t we if the evidence is there?”

Nia glanced down at the tablet. “Which evidence?”

Claire blinked.

“The evidence that it can help,” Nia said. “Or the evidence that it will help?”

The café was in its late-afternoon lull. A barista wiped down the counter. Outside, traffic seemed to be hissing, sliding on the wet shimmer left by a brief shower.

Claire rested her hands on her notebook.

“That sounds like your basic Nia distinction.”

“It is a distinction I use at work.” She relaxed a little. “We have models that can tell us which neighborhoods will be hottest in ten years. Sometimes they are excellent. But a map cannot plant a tree. It cannot keep someone’s power from being shut off in August. It cannot make an absentee landlord replace an air conditioner.”

Claire responded quickly . . . 

“So, you think the technology is sort of beside the point.”

“No.” Nia’s answer also came back quickly enough that Claire noticed. 

Claire began, “I think it can be very much the point. A better forecast or diagnosis can save a life. Tools that reduce the useless administrative work can give people back hours they never should have had to lose.”

“We agree about the tool,” Nia said.

Claire waited.

Nia looked down at the tablet again. The bright screen reflected faintly in her glasses. 

“I just…” She folded her hands around her coffee cup. “I’m not sure we agree about those holding it, the tool, now.”

The tablet, which had been quiet, produced a question.  Claire had left the evening conversation open.

“Would you like me to summarize the strongest arguments for responsible optimism about AI?”

For a moment neither spoke.

Then Claire read it out, aloud.

Nia gave a short laugh and leaned back in her chair, not really amused.

“It is good at asking the next question, even when not invited.”

“That is sometimes the mark of a really good assistant.”

“What unsettles me is that it can always recommend one more solution. It never has to ask who will carry it out, who will pay for it, or whether we have already asked people to absorb enough.

”Claire studied the look on her face as she spoke.

“Enough of what?”

Nia had to think. Outside, the rain had slowed. A bus stopped in front of the café, an ad for an AI dating app glowing along its side.

“Enough… well, systems,” she said finally. “Enough things that are supposed to make life easier—even love easier—but somehow make us responsible for more. More passwords. More forms. More decisions. More things we have to learn just to keep from being left behind.”

Claire nodded, though slowly.

“I suppose,” she said, “that I liked the idea of getting some time back.”

Nia looked at her as the guardedness in her face eased.

“I know. Me, too”

Claire turned toward the window. “I don’t mean leisure. Not exactly. I mean… “ I spend all day moving information from one place to another so people can prove they have already moved it somewhere elseI answer questions no one should even have to ask. I have to explain systems that I know were designed to be impossibly complicated.”

She shrugged.

“And sometimes I go home thinking that if something could take even twenty percent of that away, maybe I would be better at the part of my job that matters.”

Nia was quiet longer than Claire expected.

“You probably would,” she said at last.

“That is not a small thing.”

“No,” Nia said. “It is not.”

But the flow of Nia’s voice had changed. It had become warmer, less like a rebuttal than a quiet admission.

Claire opened the tablet again, almost shyly.

“Now there is one about medicine,” she said. “An AI system that helped clinicians with difficult diagnoses. Not replacing them. Helping. And another about pancreatic cancer—cases that had looked normal on scans. If it finds something early enough…”

She did not finish.

“My uncle died of pancreatic cancer,” Nia said 

“I am sorry.”

“He was fifty-eight.” Nia looked at the table, away from Claire for a moment. “He had pain for months. They kept looking for ordinary explanations. By the time it was clear, it was already…” She made a small motion with one hand, as though the rest of the sentence had gone somewhere she could not follow.

Claire said nothing.

“So, yes,” Nia continued, quickly at first. She slowed herself down. “Yes. If a system catches something a doctor misses, I do not want anyone rejecting it because they are frightened of machines, or because they want some pure version of medicine that never existed.”

Claire nodded.

“I would want it,” Nia said. “I would want it for my family. I would want it for anyone.”

The thought seemed to sit between them.

Nia looked back at the screen.

“But I keep coming back to what happens after everybody agrees it works.”

Claire did not answer.

“If a hospital buys the system,” Nia said, “and then someone in an office decides that one radiologist can do the work that used to take three…”

She paused.

“Would that be called progress?”

She looked toward the window, then back at the tablet.

“If it works beautifully at a hospital with money, specialists, lawyers, data scientists, and a public-relations department—but not at the rural clinic forty miles away, or the public hospital where people already wait months to see someone—what exactly have we improved?”

Claire closed the tablet.

“We might have improved it for some people,” she said.

“Yes,” Nia said, her voice fading slightly. “And I suppose that does matter.”

Claire looked up. “But?”

Nia shook her head. “No but. Not exactly.” She held her breath for a moment. “I am trying not to make every hopeful thing sound foolish. I know how exhausting that is. I know I do it.”

“You do not have to apologize for noticing things.”

“I am not apologizing.” She smiled briefly. “I am saying I get tired of being the person who seems to throw cold water on good news.”

“You are not.”

Nia glanced at the screen again. “I get afraid of believing too quickly. Because then I might start depending on it. And if I do, I could lose sight of who is being left out.”

Claire let that settle.

The café had grown quieter. The barista turned chairs upside down on empty tables. Somewhere behind them, a machine pinged lightly, then stopped.

Claire looked once more at the message on the screen:

Artificial intelligence may be most valuable not when it replaces human judgment, but when it gives human beings more time for judgment, care, creativity, and one another.

“It is a beautiful sentence,” Claire said.

“It is.”

“You do not trust it.”

Nia did not answer immediately.

“I trust that it is possible,” she said. “That may be the hardest part.”

Claire had wanted an uncluttered piece of good news or two: some data to set against the accumulating unease of the last few years. Earlier diagnoses. Better warnings. Fewer wasted hours. Help where help had been missing. She still believed those things mattered. The news was, after all, good.

Across the table, Nia looked tired—not defeated, not cynical, but quiet in a way Claire recognized. It was the fatigue of someone who had been asked to inherit too many unfinished emergencies and call them opportunities.

Outside, a low rumble of thunder moved across the valley. For an instant, light flashed in the café window, catching both their reflections: Claire’s face turned toward the closed tablet, Nia’s toward the weather.

“Do you think it will help?” Claire asked.

Nia did not answer at once.

“I think it already is helping,” she said.

Nia looked down at the thin, dark tablet, waiting patiently for the next question.

“I just keep wondering what it will cost.”


For a list of 12 recent developments in AI, see last weeks' blogpost. 

Prompt:l (Here is what I began with. The final version is the 4th. The basic theme and direction held.) 

Have an idea. Let's imagine a conversation between a Gen Quiet Erasure #4: A Gen Z, a Millennial and an AI future. Create a dynamic with Gen Z, the Millennial and (perhaps) AI where the Millennial had awoke to what might be some of the benefits of AI (but is still relatively lightly informed about it) and is gently brought back to reality by the other two. Was going to use some of the 12 "new" developments or benefits of AI that I had been working on. The ultimate effect upon the reader should be a bit poignant but jarring, with two streams converging at the end but not intersecting, the positive temporarily optimistic millennial's and the Gen Z's deep sense of uncertainty and healthy skepticism.


My email: wracton@gmail.com
My Legalshield website: williamacton.legalshielassociate.com



No comments:

Post a Comment