In Goethe’s The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, the apprentice knows just enough magic to set the broom working—and not enough to make it stop. Our modern spells are easier to start: a tap, a question, a confident little “I’ve got this.” But when we’re dazzled by a new AI—like someone we’re trying to impress—we may discover too late that we don’t yet understand what we’ve set in motion.
The song was playing from Sarah’s iPhone when Evan said, “That’s not a new melody.”
She glanced over. “You’ve heard it before?”
“Not this version. The older one—Lila Gray. Same four-note drop in the chorus, same pause before the last line.” He tapped the table. “They’ve just put a bigger beat under it.”
“Are you sure?”
“Pretty sure.”
Sarah let the song play to the chorus again. “Okay, music detective. Prove it.”
Evan had started using a new chatbot the week before. It had helped him identify an old movie from a scene he could barely describe, and it had done it in a way that felt less like being graded and more like having a conversation. He’d been meaning to show Sarah.
He opened the app. “This one’s pretty good. You can ask it things in different ways.”
“How different?”
“Depends what you’re trying to do.” He turned the phone toward her. “Here. I’ll check the song.”
He typed: *Is the chorus of Nova’s “Afterglow” copied from Lila Gray’s “Paper Moons”? The four-note drop sounds the same, and both songs have a pause before the last line.*
The answer came back: the songs shared a descending four-note shape, but that alone didn’t establish copying.
“See?” Evan said. “The thing I heard is real.”
“It says the melody is the same?”
“It says there’s a similarity.”
Sarah considered that. “That’s not quite the same.”
“No. I’ll check the details.” He sent a follow-up asking whether the notes matched, then another asking whether Nova had ever mentioned Lila Gray in an interview.
As he worked, he explained what he thought mattered: the rhythm, where the phrase fell in the chorus, the pause before the last line. Sarah listened, then asked, “Hey, how does the chatbot know whether the melody is similar if you’re only typing?”
Evan started to answer. “It probably compares the notes—or it might look for—”
He stopped. “Actually, I don’t know. I was about to make that up.”
Sarah smiled. “Fair enough.”
“I know it can analyze things. I don’t know what it’s doing in this particular case.” He looked back at the screen. “I’ll ask.”
The answer was less definitive than he’d hoped. It explained that the chatbot could discuss the musical details he described, but that a text exchange didn’t mean it had actually listened to and compared both recordings.
“So it’s not really hearing the songs,” Sarah said.
“Not from what I gave it.”
“Then the four notes are still your evidence.”
“More or less.”
He asked the chatbot to look for reliable sources about the songs and their writers. The search took a little longer. Evan kept glancing between the screen and Sarah, trying to follow the results and keep the conversation going. It was a little like talking to the chatbot: he wanted to ask the right thing, but the next question kept occurring before he’d worked out what the last answer really meant.
He tapped another follow-up.
A notice appeared: **You’ve reached today’s Pro Search limit.**
Evan read it twice.
“What is it?” Sarah asked.
“I think I’ve used up my searches for today.”
“From this one song?”
“From all the follow-ups, I guess.” He looked at the top of the screen. “I knew there were different modes. I didn’t realize I was using a limited one.”
“Can you still use the chatbot?”
“Ask, yes. Pro Search, not until it resets.”
“So it’s not gone.”
“No. Just that particular kind of search.”
Sarah nodded toward the phone. “What did it actually tell you?”
Evan looked at the answer again. “That the four-note pattern sounds similar, and the pause is there. But that doesn’t prove Nova copied anything.”
“That’s a less exciting conclusion.”
“It’s also probably the honest one.”
He set the phone down. “I should spend some time learning how this thing works before I take on an important challenge like—”
“Like what?”
“Trying to impress Sarah.”
She laughed softly. “You don’t have to impress me with a research report.”
“I know. I just wanted to show you something I thought was cool.”
“That part worked.”
He looked at her. “Even though I don’t know how it works?”
“Maybe especially because you admitted it.”
Evan smiled. “The chatbot’s kind of like that, actually. It’s good at keeping a conversation going. Makes you feel like it understands what you mean. But you still have to pay attention to what you’ve really told it—and what it’s actually answered.”
“And with me?”
“I’m still figuring out what to ask.”
“That sounds sensible.”
“Would you like to get coffee with me sometime?”
Sarah gave him a moment to wait. “Sure.”
Evan glanced at the phone. “Should I ask the chatbot where?”
“No,” she said. “You can ask me.”
“Right.” He put the phone away. “Where would you like to go?”
“Now that,” she said, “is a good question.”
***
A week later, Sarah found Evan at the café with his phone face down beside his cup.
“You didn’t bring your research report?” she asked.
“I did. I’m trying not to lead with it.”
“Growth.”
He slid the phone across the table. “I used Pro Search this time. Read the sources, checked the credits, looked for interviews. The short version: there’s no strong evidence that Nova copied ‘Paper Moons.’ Similar four-note shape, same pause, but those things by themselves don’t prove anything.”
Sarah picked up the phone. “And the longer version?”
“The composer, Mara Venn, has talked about studying Lila Gray’s records. She’s mentioned Gray as an influence—especially the way she leaves space before a chorus resolves. A couple of interviews and reviews make the same connection.”
“So you were right.”
“Sort of.” Evan considered it. “I was right that there was a connection. I was too quick to call it copying.”
Sarah looked up from the screen. “That’s actually more interesting.”
“Yeah. The song may not be borrowing that melody. But it might be borrowing a way of thinking about melody—how to leave a little silence and make you lean in.”
She set the phone down. “That’s what the pause does.”
“That’s what I thought I heard.”
“You did hear it.”
“I just didn’t know what it meant yet.”
Sarah studied him for a moment. “And the chatbot helped you figure that out?”
“It helped me find the interviews. But I had to decide what counted as evidence, and what was just people repeating the same theory. It can give me a path to follow. It can’t tell me what I should believe.”
“Sounds like you learned something.”
“About research?”
“About better questions and prompts.”
Evan smiled. “I’m still practicing.”
“Good. Maybe you can practice on me.”
He leaned forward. “What would you like to know?”
Sarah turned the phone face down, beside his. “Whether you want to get dinner with me.”
Evan didn’t reach for the screen this time. “Yes.”
“Good answer.”
“Was there a limit?”
“Only if you took too long.”
“Then I’d better not overthink it.”
Sarah moved her cup closer to his. “You can think about it a little.”
And this time, Evan let the silence do its work.
No comments:
Post a Comment