Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Process-experiential Pronunciation instruction

Logo: Process-Experiential Therapy
Once every couple of months I check in with my local counseling psychologist/researcher in the building next door on my current thinking as to the development of this work, one of those who introduced me to Observed Experiential Integration over five years ago. Yesterday's question was: How can I better conceptualize the role of haptic integration within the appropriate balance between cognitive-conceptual and body-based somatic pronunciation instruction? He referred me to Process-experiential therapy. To the right is the logo from the PE website which outlines the general model. If you just substitute "haptic-integrated" for "experienced emotion" you have a very interesting framework for the theoretical foundation of our work, especially in light of recent developments relating to the importance of learning about this approach--experientially! (The logo, itself, not surprisingly, maps on very nicely to the general character of the visual field as detailed in several earlier posts, with "up~down" being "internal~external, and "left~right" being "stability~change.") What is even more striking (to me at least, not my colleague!) is that the 12 boxes also map on beautifully to the "vowel clock" framework described in earlier posts as well. In the next few posts, I will unpack and slightly alter the labels of several of those "boxes" in examining the empirical and theoretical bases of HICP. If you are one of my grad students, you have your homework!

2 comments:

  1. What a great integrative model - a Eureka moment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! I was aware of that paradigm earlier but it just didn't "click" until I was working on the problem of rationalizing both integrated pronunciation work in class with "out of class" or decontextualized exercises and drills such as we use in the haptic video protocols--or as is the usual practice in many programs of providing relative "stand alone" pronunciation classes. I'm "PMP-ed!"

    ReplyDelete